Pages

Monday, December 3, 2012

Ovechkin: My heart and soul is with Washington Capitals

Igor Fein, the journalist of vmdaily.ru, got a surprising interview with Alex Ovechkin in Moscow. Here are some excerpts...

The reason for the interview with a hockey star Alexander Ovechkin was him saying that the Russian championship gave him some unpleasant surprises though he had previously said he was glad to arrive home.

Knowing Sasha Ovechkin, or, as he is called in the NHL, Ovie, I assumed that this conversation won't happen, but Ovechkin agreed for interview.

What do you not like in our hockey, Alexander?
The most annoying thing is almost complete lack of interest in hockey in Moscow, especially noticeable after sold out arena in St. Petersburg, not to mention other cities. For example, our game with CSKA was attended by fewer people than a basketball game CSKA - Zalgiris. And the difference was enormous, three thousand spectators less than watching "Gullivers". We had around six thousand, the basketball game almost ten.

In addition, it is unclear why such stars and supposedly favorite players of our the country, as Alexei Yashin, Slava Kozlov, are not used as much as they could be? Unclear situation with a classy goalkeeper Ilya Bryzgalov, the dismissal of SKA St. Petersburg coach Milos Rzhiga. This is probably the kind of world record with a "minus" in front.



So once the lockout will be over, will you return to the NHL as soon as possible?
Certainly. I am very comfortable in Moscow, Russia in general, but my soul is across the ocean, in the NHL, with Washington Capitals, with whom I still hope to win the Stanley Cup.

Alas, every week, even every day and hour, the hope that the NHL lockout will be solved, is decreasing.

But at first you said that you are very happy at home...
Well, if we keep in mind some of the nuances.
First of all, I was able to celebrate my birthday at home in September for the first time in many years. And we celebrated it quietly, calmly, without any decorations, without no photo shoots on Twitter and Facebook, no pop stars. Only close friends, mom, dad, brother. We had traditional shashlyki (barbecue) at our dacha in the country, the weather was nice and quiet chill-out. The last time I had such a thrill was in 2004, when I turned 19. And today I am 27 years old!
Secondly, I celebrated my mother's birthday on November 21. And, finally, there was hope that our union leader Donald Fehr will withstand the pressure of the opponents and protect the players. Money for me is not the most important thing, but why should I feed the bosses of the NHL and clubs with sweat and blood-earned dollars?

Source: http://vmdaily.ru/news/hokkeist-aleksandr-ovechkin-hochet-obratno-za-okean1354474432.html



Share |

3 comments:

  1. I AGREE WITH YOU OVIE PLAYERS MUST STICK TO THEIR GUNS. OWNERS ARE TO BIG FOR THEIR BRITCHES.

    CAPS TICKET HOLDER AND FAN

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your soul and heart are here in Washington. Come back soon, Alex, we miss you...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah this is so great to hear -- I was wondering if he missed Caps hockey! I'd be at every Dynamo game if I could! :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.